Welcome to a brand new year!
We hope you and your families had a relaxing summer and that you are excited to be returning next week on Thursday, September 8th. This is shaping up to be an exciting year with many new opportunities and supports for our students! We are beginning to leave the pandemic behind and return to some of the old normalcy. This will include more things like trips, job shadowing and internships! There will be much more on these things ahead; please look for parent/teacher association emails from our parent coordinator, Ms. Heather Francis. In the meantime, here are some answers to our most common FAQs at the beginning of the year:
- Please arrive at the school (800 East Gun Hill Rd, Bronx, NY 10467) by 8:00am. Scanning will open at 7:30am if you'd like to get breakfast.
- HSCT students will enter through the side entrance on Bronxwood Ave. Other schools enter through the main entrance in front, so make sure you go to the side entrance with the students in blue uniforms!
- Masks are NOT required this year, but of course students may wear them if they like. In addition, students no longer have to fill out a health screener every morning before entering school. COVID is however still among us! So in the case that you are not feeling well and running a fever, please stay home and take a test! The school will continue to distribute tests throughout the year for students to take home.
- If you have an ID, please bring it. If you have lost it or have never received one because you are new, you will still be able to get in.
- Student cell phones will be collected upon entry. Please keep an eye out for further information on our cell phone policy with your child’s initial handouts. They will be stored safely in plastic containers, kept safe throughout the day and returned to your child when they leave.
- You will be allowed to bring in devices (laptops, iPads, etc), but you will NOT need them during the first week of school. Feel free to leave them at home this week. We will discuss this further in grade-wide Town Hall meetings the following week.
- When students arrive on the first day, please go to the THIRD FLOOR. There are signs with room assignments and staff will be in the hallway to direct you to your first room where you will receive your schedules and metro cards as well as a packet of other information.
- Please bring some basic supplies this week, like pencils, pens, and a notebook or binder with paper. You will find out this week from your teachers if there is anything specific they'd like for their class.
- Uniforms (light blue collared shirt, navy blue/black slacks) are required this year, but do not stay home just because you haven't been able to purchase one yet. If you'd like to purchase an HSCT polo, which is optional, you may bring $25 to school with you to purchase one from Sylvia in room 329.
- You should be receiving invitations to your Google Classrooms over the next few days -- please accept them. Although all classes are in-person, teachers will still be utilizing Google Classroom to distribute/collect classwork and homework.
- You do NOT need to have received the COVID-19 vaccine in order to attend school, although it is recommended. There will NO LONGER be in-school testing for COVID-19 or its variants.
- Policies for Physical Education (like PE attire) will be discussed during Town Hall meetings. You will not need to bring anything for PE class until the second week of school. By then you will have your schedule and will know which days you have PE.
We have an exciting Welcome Back week planned and are looking forward to seeing your faces again! If you're feeling anxious, don't worry, many people are. Staff will be there to guide you as we welcome you back to the halls of HSCT!
If you have any further questions, please reach out.
David Wills, principal